Wednesday, August 22, 2007

When a fight goes to far.....

Here is a letter that we recieved in the Bill and Connie In-Box...

Today, August 20, 2007 at about 2pm-ish, I was on a trail ride with my dog, one of my best friends, and one of her dogs. She lives in Spanish Springs where the parcels are at a minimum 10 acres, and lots of them are 60 plus acres, kind of an open country feeling. We were walking our horses and our dogs back to her property when a neighbor, who lives approximately three parcels over from her, stopped to talk to her in her car. She was advising my friend that she would prefer that we don't walk on her property as she was reseeding the "sagebrush" there and the horses would destroy that effort of hers. My friend proceeded to defend us and an argument ensued between the two of them. The neighbor then decided to leave and she started to honk her horn at us, deliberatly trying to spook our horses. When that did not work, she noticed that my chocolate lab, Parker, was standing in the road and she pointed her car at him and stepped on the gas. After she hit him the first time and he rolled away from her car, she stopped, stepped on the gas again and hit him again, and then drove off and left us with him there wounded with no help.

Needless to say, I was more than horrified to watch our family pet become the victim of her anger, and I thought I was actually watching him die at the time. I was hysterical as I held my bleeding dog in my lap as we arranged getting him some help. Parker is now at the emergency vet, and we are awaiting more news as to his condiiton. So far, he looks like he is doing well, but he has a pneumothorax and they are keeping him for observation there in the event he needs to be punctured and put on oxygen.

The Sherriff's department came out to take our statements and talk to the woman who did this, and they have told me that they will try to get a hit and run charge against her, but they are not sure the DA will make that stick. I am wanting help from animal activists or someone that can direct me on how to make sure she gets what she deserves. This situation reminds me of the road rage incident in San Jose, California, when that man threw that woman's Bichon out the window into traffic and it died. These situations are criminal and should not go unnoticed. I am afraid that mine will because it is a dog, Do you know if there is any help out there?

My response....
This situation sucks any way you look at it. Yes...this was private land and they shouldn't have been on it if permission was not granted. But...does that give you the excuse to kill someone's pet...in such a violent way. I understand arguements get heated...but it's unfortunate something like this had to happen. Talk to you in the morning!

2 comments:

Elizabeth H. said...

I heard about this story during your morning show earlier in the week and it made me feel physically sick to my stomach. I agree with Trey that the entire neighborhood should protest on this woman's lawn. I don't think this is any different than having a petifile in your neighborhood. Parents need to protect their kids and in my family our pets are our children. If nobody speaks out against this behavior, things will never change. Thanks for giving it the air time it deserves!

Bonnie G. said...

What kind of person you must be to hurt and/or try to kill a pet. They are almost always so harmless and generous with love and compasion, especially a lab...what a beautiful creature...I think to hell with protesting..all dog owners should visit this woman and leave her some land mine presents oin her precious yard...